my step son graduated with a special education diploma in GA. He can drive he has had jobs but he has problem…

Q) I don’t really know where to start, my step son graduated with a special education diploma in GA. He can drive he has had jobs but he has problem with time and is late a lot and he also goes to the bathroom a lot by choice he has been homeless we have tried to help and we have many of times but we can’t do it anymore he does not manage money at all he has always worked down south of Atlanta mostly Thursday a temp service. He hurt his knee April the 10 not at work but he was working at the time making 19.00 a hour but they fired him July 5. His Mother has passed away I have known of his records or anything or anything so how special needs he is there anyone that can get me started to get him some assistance for him.

A) I’m sorry to hear about your step son’s situation. It sounds like he needs some support and guidance to overcome his challenges and achieve his goals. There are some resources and programs in Georgia that might be able to help him.

One option is to contact the Georgia Vocational Rehabilitation Agency (GVRA), which provides services to help people with disabilities find and keep jobs. They can also assist with counseling, training, education, and other support services. You can find more information about GVRA and how to apply for their services on their website.

Another option is to explore the Georgia Special Needs Scholarship, which provides funds for K-12 private school in the state of Georgia for students with an IEP or most students with a 504 plan. This program might be suitable for your step son if he wants to continue his education or pursue a different diploma. You can learn more about the eligibility criteria and application process on this website.

You might also want to check out some of the resources and information provided by the Georgia Department of Education, which oversees the special education programs and services for children with disabilities in the state. They have a section on their website dedicated to transition planning, which can help you and your step son prepare for his future after high school. You can access the transition planning resources here.

Here are some additional steps you can take to help him get started:

  1. Obtain documentation: If your stepson has a special education diploma, there should be documentation that outlines his specific needs and disabilities. Try to gather any relevant paperwork, such as Individualized Education Programs (IEPs) or evaluations, as these documents will be important when seeking assistance.
  2. Connect with support organizations: Reach out to local organizations that provide support and resources for individuals with special needs. These organizations can offer guidance on available programs, vocational training, and job placement services.
  3. Contact government agencies: In Georgia, there are several state and federal agencies that provide assistance to individuals with disabilities. The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) and the Georgia Department of Labor might be good places to start.
  4. Apply for disability benefits: Depending on the nature and severity of your stepson’s disabilities, he may be eligible for disability benefits such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI). The Social Security Administration can provide more information on eligibility and the application process.
  5. Vocational Rehabilitation: Look into vocational rehabilitation services in your area. These programs are designed to help individuals with disabilities prepare for, obtain, and maintain employment.
  6. Seek financial counseling: If your stepson has trouble managing money, consider seeking assistance from a financial counselor or advisor. They can provide guidance on budgeting, saving, and financial planning.
  7. Medical and mental health support: It’s essential to ensure that your stepson’s physical and mental health needs are addressed. Encourage him to seek medical and mental health support if needed.
  8. Legal support: If your stepson is facing homelessness or other difficult situations, it might be helpful to consult with an attorney who specializes in disability and housing issues to understand his rights and explore potential solutions.

Remember that navigating the support system can be complex, so don’t hesitate to reach out to social workers, counselors, or disability advocates who can provide guidance and support throughout this process. Additionally, having open and compassionate communication with your stepson is crucial to understanding his needs and concerns better.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.