Trying to find out how to obtain health insurance for my son who is in drug rehab to go to dentist.

medicaid_questionQ) I am asking this question for my son who is 35 and was recently arrested for drugs and consequently lost his job and went to jail. He was in jail for 17 days and is currently in drug rehab. He is married but separated from his wife and basically homeless. He was admitted to rehab as indigent because of no job, no insurance and homeless. The rehab facility is acquiring a food stamp card. He is in desperate need of some dental work. He has a bad tooth that is quite possibly infected and causing a lot of pain. I am trying to find out how to obtain health ins. for him so he can get to the dentist but I don’t know where to turn. Please give me some suggestions!

A) I am sorry to hear about your son’s situation. It sounds like he is going through a lot right now. I am happy to help you find some resources that may be able to help him get the dental care he needs.

Here are a few things you can do:

  1. Contact your local Department of Human Services. They can provide you with information about Medicaid and other government programs that may be able to help your son get dental care.
  2. Contact a local dental school. Many dental schools offer free or low-cost dental care to patients who are uninsured or underinsured.
  3. Contact a local community health center. Community health centers often offer a variety of health care services, including dental care, on a sliding scale fee basis.
  4. Look for a dentist who offers payment plans. Many dentists offer payment plans to patients who cannot afford to pay for dental care upfront.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

NOTE: According to the Medicaid website: States have flexibility to determine what dental benefits are provided to adult Medicaid enrollees. While most states provide at least emergency dental services for adults, less than half of the states currently provide comprehensive dental care. There are no minimum requirements for adult dental coverage. You may need to contact your state social benefits website or office see what service may be available.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.