Hi i just moved from Massachusetts. I am homeless. How do I apply for Medicaid?

Q) Hi i just moved from Massachusetts. I am on disability and need to change over also mass health insurance i have. I am homeless right now and wondering can you help with that? I need to apply for food stamps also. I move down here because the weather is so much better than where I was. I would appreciate if you could leave me on the right path Thank you. Brenda

A) Hi Brenda, I’m so sorry to hear that you’re homeless and that you’re struggling to make ends meet. I’m happy to help you find the resources you need.

Here are some things you can do to get started:

  • Apply for emergency housing assistance. The Alaska Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers emergency housing assistance to people who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. You can apply for emergency housing assistance online or by calling the HUD hotline at 1-800-927-9275.
  • Apply for food stamps. The Alaska Department of Social Services (DSS) administers the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), also known as food stamps. You can apply for food stamps online or by calling the DSS hotline at 1-800-478-4782.
  • Contact your local food bank or pantry. Food banks and pantries often have food available for people who are struggling to make ends meet. You can find a food bank or pantry near you by visiting the Feeding America website.
  • Call 211. 211 is a free service that can connect you with resources in your community, including food banks, pantries, and other assistance programs.
  • Visit your local social services office. Your local social services office may be able to help you with food assistance, as well as other services such as housing assistance and job training.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

In addition to the resources listed above, here are some other things you can do to get back on your feet:

  • Look for a job. There are many resources available to help you find a job, such as the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development. You can search for jobs online or by visiting your local unemployment office.
  • Get help with your disability. If you have a disability, there are many resources available to help you get the support you need. You can find information about disability services on the website of the Alaska Department of Health and Social Services.
  • Get involved in your community. Getting involved in your community can help you feel connected and supported. There are many ways to get involved, such as volunteering, joining a club, or taking a class.

I know it’s a lot to take in, but I want you to know that you’re not alone. There are many people who care about you and want to help. Please reach out for help if you need it.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.