Find your local Medicaid, Food Stamp & Welfare Office here!

My 96 year old mother is currently in a care facility. She is blind/deaf with dementia. Her money will run out soon

Q) My 96 year old mother is currently in a memory care facility. She is nearly blind and deaf with severe dementia. Her money will run out soon and I will need to move her to a nursing facility long term. Her current facility does not take medicaid. How do I get her financial assistance for a nursing home?

A) Medicare does office assistance in elderly nursing home care – The benefits that Medicare offers toward the cost of nursing home care are limited. Medicare is not intended to provide a long term care solution rather it is designed for those who need skilled nursing care for a limited time. Note that some people refer to short-term nursing home care as convalescent care. Medicare will pay for twenty days of care at 100% of the cost. For the eighty days following, Medicare will pay 80% of the cost. For those who subscribe to a Medicare Supplemental Insurance plan, the secondary insurance will pay the remaining 20% of the cost for the last eighty days of coverage. Neither Medicare nor Medicare Supplemental Insurance will pay for nursing home care after the 100-day maximum is reached. A minor exception to this rule exists, when the nursing home doubles as a psychiatric hospital and the individual is in residence for a psychiatric condition. In this situation, Medicare increases assistance for up to 190 days.
Source – https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/longtermcare/paying-for-nursing-homes.html

Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) may cover care in a certified skilled nursing facility (SNF) if it’s medically necessary for you to have skilled nursing care (like changing sterile dressings). However, most nursing home care is custodial care, like help with bathing or dressing. Medicare doesn’t cover custodial care if that’s the only care you need.
Source – https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/nursing-home-care.html

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.

State Medicaid – Food Stamp Office Locations

Alabama   Alaska   Arizona   Arkansas   California   Colorado   Connecticut   Delaware   Florida   Georgia   Hawaii   Idaho   Illinois  Indiana   Iowa   Kansas   Kentucky   Louisiana  Maine   Maryland   Massachusetts   Michigan   Minnesota   Mississippi   Missouri   Montana   Nebraska   Nevada   New Hampshire  New Jersey   New Mexico   New York   North Carolina   North Dakota   Ohio   Oklahoma   Oregon   Pennsylvania   Rhode  Island   South  Carolina  South Dakota   Tennessee   Texas   Utah   Vermont   Virginia   Washington  West  Virginia   Wisconsin   Wyoming

China

medicaid_question