I have bills that I want to submit for my Medicaid spend-down. How do I do this?
February 11, 2023
A) Medicaid spend-down is a way for individuals who have too much income to qualify for Medicaid to still receive Medicaid coverage. If you have medical bills, you can use those expenses to “spend down” your income so that it meets the eligibility requirements for Medicaid.
To submit your bills for your Medicaid spenddown, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Gather your medical bills: Make sure you have all of your medical bills and receipts related to the expenses you want to use for your spenddown.
- Contact your state Medicaid agency: Find out who to contact in your state to submit your bills for your spenddown. This information is usually available on your state’s Medicaid website or by calling the Medicaid customer service number.
- Complete a spenddown form: You may need to complete a form to request that your medical bills be counted towards your spenddown. The form may be available online or from your local Medicaid office.
- Submit your bills and form: Once you have all of the required information, submit your bills and form to your state Medicaid agency.
- Wait for a determination: The Medicaid agency will review your submission and make a determination about your eligibility for Medicaid. They will let you know the outcome of your spenddown request and what your next steps are.
It’s important to note that the process for submitting your bills for a Medicaid spenddown can vary depending on your state. Be sure to contact your state Medicaid agency for specific instructions on how to submit your bills.